Yates' Vuelta win secures a Shimano hat-trick of Grand Tour winners
- Yates, Thomas and Froome rode Shimano to victory in 2018's Vuelta, Tour and Giro
- Second year running that all three Grand Tour winners used Shimano Dura Ace R9100 series
Simon Yates' victory at the 73rd Vuelta a España not only completes a clean sweep of British victories in this year's Grand Tours but also a hat-trick of victories using Shimano components, as well as a first Grand Tour victory for Shimano’s Dura-Ace power meter.
The Mitchelton-Scott rider's victory came aboard his Scott Addict RC bike, adorned with Shimano's flagship groupset, the Di2 electronic shifting R9150 version of Dura-Ace, featuring a 53/39T Dura-Ace crankset with 170mm crank arms, an integral Dura-Ace power meter (FC-R9100-P). Yates' completed his Shimano drivetrain with a choice of C24, C40 or C60 Dura-Ace wheels and Dura-Ace SPD-SL pedals.
Yates followed Geraint Thomas' victory on Shimano in the Tour de France and Chris Froome victory on Shimano in the Giro D'Italia to ensure all three grand tours winners rode to victory with Shimano Dura-Ace, repeating the feat achieved in 2017 when Tom Dumoulin (Giro) and Chris Froome (Tour & Vuelta) claimed the overall victories with Shimano Dura-Ace.
Hennie Stamsnijder, former Grand Tour rider and current Shimano Europe sports marketing team leader: “To win a Grand Tour takes a special rider backed up by a rock solid back-up team with equipment to match. To maintain the consistency required to come out on top over three weeks of racing requires dependency on many factors coming together to work at the optimum level. We are very proud to have played a part in that, helping Yates to secure his first Grand Tour win.”
Shimano would like to congratulate Simon Yates and Mitchelton-Scott for their victory in 2018 as well as all riders completing the 21 stages of this year's Vuelta a Espana.
NOTES TO EDITORS
1. Embargo: For immediate release
2. Images: Copyright Cor Vos, www.corvospro.com
3. Shimano sponsored teams competing in this year’s Vuelta a Espana include: Team LottoNL-Jumbo, Team Sky, Team Sunweb, Mitchelton-Scott, TREK-Segafredo, Team Française des Jeux, BMC Racing Team and Bora-Hansgrohe.
4. About Shimano Europe: Founded in 1921, Shimano is dedicated to helping its customers get closer to nature, supporting people to realize their dreams and create new lifestyles. That comes with the desire to create outstanding cycling products and apparel. With almost 100 years’ experience in creating internationally renowned bicycle components, Shimano is proud to have developed products that continue to take countless athletes to victory and provide the means for limitless global bicycle journeys. For more information see www.shimano.com.