TEAM LOTTONL-JUMBO BEHIND SHIMANO’S NEW S-PHYRE EYEWEAR DEVELOPMENT
Pro riders including Steven Kruijswijk, George Bennett, Robert Gesink and Primoz Roglic part of the development team behind Shimano’s premium S-PHYRE eyewear.
In a natural evolution of its S-PHYRE clothing and footwear line, Shimano has announced details of its new S-PHYRE eyewear. Shimano’s complete eyewear range boasts many technical features making it the go-to choice for everything from performance competition to casual cycling, but now, much like S-PHYRE clothing and footwear, the new S-PHYRE R (CE-SPHR1) and S-PHYRE X (CE-SPHX1) sunglasses position Shimano at the top-end of the cycling eyewear market.
The S-PHYRE concept is based around maximizing power transmission through the combination of fit, weight and aerodynamics. The S-PHYRE R and S-PHYRE X glasses embrace this concept with a form-fitting design to reduce airflow turbulence and fit snugly around the temples. And whilst eyewear weight is often negligible, these new models still barely trouble the scales at 25.6g and 28.6g respectively.
World Tour Team LottoNL-Jumbo riders like Steven Kruijswijk, George Bennett, Robert Gesink and Primoz Roglic were instrumental in the development of the glasses, emphasizing the fact that racers need large lenses for increased protection, darker lens tints for higher visibility in bright-light conditions, secure but comfortable fittings, and strong anti-scratch coatings.
These features find their way into the two S-PHYRE eyewear models. The S-PHYRE R offers a wide one-piece lens for better visibility and wind protection with a lightweight black rimless frame to put less stress on the cheek bone, with a secure rounded temple fitting with non-slip pattern plus interchangeable nose pads and multiple racing lenses for all weather conditions.
The S-PHYRE X offers the same lens design and technology but with the top half-frame to hold the lens in place and a detachable lower frame to protect cheek and lens. Frame colour options for the S-PHYRE X include black and metallic blue.
Consumers have the choice of the S-PHYRE R and S-PHYRE X with either a Photochromic (PH) style Dark Grey-Red lens with a Cloud Mirror lens option, or with an Optimal PL (Polarized) Red MLC lens with the same alternative Cloud Mirror lens.
- The PH Dark Grey-Red (13-62%) lens works best in sunny conditions, preserving natural hues in bright-to-slightly cloudy weather. It takes just 8 seconds for these lenses to move from their lightest to darkest point when exposed to bright sunlight.
- The Optimal PL Red MLC (16% light transmission) lens is for sunshine conditions. The 80% polarization reduces glare and reflections, and provides better visibility of LCD screens, car glass and puddles on the road. The outer glass features a glimmering Multi-Layer Coating whilst the inner features an anti-reflection coating on the inside to prevent reflection from the back.
- The Cloud Mirror spare lens (85% light transmission) follows the human eye’s Photopic vision (the vision of the eye under dark conditions) by reducing the amount of blue light and maintaining the red/yellow colours entering the eye so the rider can see the optimum color contrast in a dark environment.
LottoNL-Jumbo riders have already notched up two wins on the S-PHYRE R this season with Danny Van Poppel’s win at the Volta a la Comunitat Valenciana (pictured) and Dylan Groenewegen’s victory at the Tour of Dubai.
Consumers can emulate Van Poppel and Groenewegen’s achievements when the S-PHYRE 1 and S-PHYRE X glasses arrive in stores from April 2018 onwards.
NOTES TO EDITORS
1. Embargo: Thursday 22nd February 16:00 CET
2. Product images: can be downloaded at https://media.shimano-eu.com/en-CEU/presskit/219958?reheat_cache=1
3. LottoNL-Jumbo: For more on the team visit: https://www.teamlottojumbo.com/Cycling/Team
4. About Shimano Europe: Founded in 1921, Shimano is dedicated to helping its customers get closer to nature, supporting people to realize their dreams and create new lifestyles. That comes with the desire to create outstanding cycling products and apparel. With almost 100 years’ experience in creating internationally renowned bicycle components, Shimano is proud to have developed products that continue to take countless athletes to victory and provide the means for limitless global bicycle journeys. For more information see https://bike.shimano.com.