NEW SHIMANO FOOTWEAR INCLUDING TRACK, TRIATHLON AND E-BIKE SHOES UNVEILED AT EUROBIKE
SHIMANO 2020 footwear range makes its debut at Europe’s premier bike show
New Shimano footwear for 2020 includes an elite level RC901T track racing shoe and an elite TR9 triathlon shoe, as well as updates to popular Road, XC and Enduro/DH models, plus two specific Indoor Cycling shoes and an E-Bike-specific shoe.
RC9T S-PHYRE TRACK SHOE
In preparation for the 2019/2020 Track Cycling campaign SHIMANO debuts its first dedicated track racing shoe. The S-PHYRE Track racing shoe (SH-RC901T) shares the same base as the elite-level RC9 S-PHYRE road shoe but features a reinforced upper and power boost wire guide closure system to minimize foot movement and provide greater control of power transmission. The one low-profile Boa® L6 dial allows for a Velcro strap to fit well with pedal toe straps. The RC901T comes with a stretch-resistant microfiber synthetic leather upper, including a tongue for pressure comfort, high-grip heel area with silicon insert for comfort, plus Silvadur stay-fresh lining.
The shoe is tailored to track sprinters and time trialists with an SPD-SL cleat fitting. In size 42 the RC9T weighs 249g and comes in EU sizes from 36 to 48 including half sizes and wide sizes.
TR901 TRIATHLON SHOE
The TR901 Triathlon shoe builds on the success of SHIMANO’s podium-gracing TR900 version by offering rapid transition times on and off the bike as well as optimal power transfer. The TR901 features a T1 Quick strap and an extra-wide upper opening for quickly putting on the shoe after swimming or taking off the shoe before running. The lightweight, rigid carbon fiber composite sole and external heel cup stabilizes the foot and efficiently transfers power. The upper is made from a water resistant microfiber synthetic leather with strategic venting to cope well with both hot and humid conditions and moist feet. The internal breathable 3D mesh also dries fast. The finishing touch comes from a large heel loop to make the shoe easy to grab in transitions.
The TR9 weighs 230g (size 42) and comes in EU sizes from 36 to 50 including half sizes.
Elsewhere in Shimano’s 2020 footwear lineup:
- The new RC5 road competition shoe (SH-RC502) comes with many of the highly rated S-PHYRE RC9 features, including a wrap-around upper with glove-like fit, seamless midsole for lower stack height, BOA dial with guide wire, and the eye-catching blue colourway at a more economical price point. The RC5 also comes in a women’s specific design in white and navy.
- The new XC5 cross-country shoe again echoes the design of its S-PHYRE XC9 bigger brother, coming with a BOA dial, spike mounts and Michelin soles. The XC5 also comes in a women’s specific design in navy.
- AM9 and AM7 Downhill/Enduro SPD shoes with new navy or black (SH-AM9) and blue or black (SH-AM7) colourways and improved pedal channel areas when clipped in and clipped out. Both the AM9 and AM7 also come with an E-BIKE RATED motif recommended them for E-MTB riding. The new AM7 also has a women’s fitting version available in a grey/purple colourway.
- GR9 and GR7 flat pedal Downhill/Enduro shoes in new navy or black (GR9) and yellow or black (GR7) colourways with improved grip thanks to a new Michelin rubber sole compound, enhanced protection from a TPU reinformcement layer, robust toe cap and asymmetrically raised padded ankle collar. Both the GR9 and GR7 are also E-BIKE RATED. The new GR7 also comes with a women’s specific fitting in grey/blue.
- The new RX8 gravel race shoe shares similarities with Shimano’s XC shoes, such as the heel stabilizer and the super stiff carbon composite sole but, to save weight the RX8 sheds certain features with no spike mounts, one less Boa IP1 dial and a smaller heel cup, to drop the weight to just 265g (size 42), bringing it in line with the weight more commonly expected of a road cycling shoe.
- A new version of Shimano’s popular MW5 winter mountain biking boot (SH-MW501) comes with a DRYSHIELD membrane and neoprene ankle collar to keep feet warm, dry and comfortable during inclement weather.
- A new Indoor Cycling (IC) category contains two Shimano models targeted towards different styles, both with SPD-style cleat-fitting systems recessed into the sole. The IC5 model is based on a road shoe design and has a breathable woven style mesh upper, an L6 Boa dial for shoe tension adjustments and a flexible sole for a great balance between pedal power transfer and comfort. The IC3 model on the other hand has an upper that looks more like a traditional training shoe with sections of breathable leather and mesh, a Boa dial for tension adjustments and a sole designed for comfort on and off the bike.
- The Mountain Touring MT7 or MT7GTX offers a versatile cycling shoe built for mountain touring, bikepacking or commuting. Both versions come with a Boa L6 dial, a rubber sole and shock-absorbing EVA midsole for pedaling efficiency and walking comfort. The MT7GTX version comes with waterproof GORE-TEX and a robust toe cap for protection from the elements.
- Many of Shimano’s mountain biking shoes now come with the E-BIKE RATED motif but for a dedicated e-bike shoe the ET5 E-bike Touring shoe is designed to appeal to the casual urban/trekking e-bike rider. Regular sports shoes will deform against pedal contact over time, causing muscle fatigue in the foot and calf muscles, so the stiffer soles on the ET5 are designed to reduce rider fatigue and improve pedaling efficiency. The flat-soled ET5 comes with a rubber outsole for great grip, even in wet conditions, including a stiffer pedal area with lugs to firmly grab pedal cages and tread blocks in the front and rear for walking grip on uneven ground. The ET5 comes in five colour variations for men and women.
NOTES TO EDITORS
1. Embargo: Tuesday 3rd September 2019, 17:00 CET
2. Images: can be downloaded at the link below: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/chbf84xtgcelm51/AAAGlF9uJA19WsERk1nuWC77a?dl=0
3. Further Shimano press releases: See the media centre here: https://media.shimano-eu.com Username: shimanomedia Password: 5h1m4n0m3d14
4. ABOUT SHIMANO EUROPE: Founded in 1921, Shimano is dedicated to helping its customers get closer to nature, supporting people to realize their dreams and create new lifestyles. That comes with the desire to create outstanding cycling products and apparel. With almost 100 years’ experience in creating internationally renowned bicycle components, Shimano is proud to have developed products that continue to take countless athletes to victory and provide the means for limitless global bicycle journeys. For more information see www.shimano.com.