SHIMANO STEPS UP WITH NEW BATTERY SAVING OR PEAK POWER SETTING FOR E-MTB ECO MODE
Extended customization options to get more out of your SHIMANO STEPS E-MTB
With the release of new firmware (version 3.4.3) today SHIMANO STEPS MTB (E8000 and E7000) riders can now customise their Eco mode, as well as their Boost and Trail modes, with High, Medium and Low settings. This makes SHIMANO STEPS e-MTB systems more versatile, allowing riders to find the perfect setting to go the extra mile.
SHIMANO STEPS e-MTB systems offer three pre-set riding characteristics to choose from:
1. Dynamic is the “factory default” mode, with Boost level set to high, Trail on low and Eco on high. Its high Boost gives you max support to tame vertically-challenging terrain. Its low Trail offers intense control through the tricky bits while offering full support when you push hard. High Eco delivers the optimal balance of extending your range while remaining responsive and fun.
2. Explorer has both Boost and Trail set on medium. Riders will feel that they ride faster than their normal pace, but with improved technical control. Eco is set on high to cover riders on all terrains, especially useful when hitting unexplored trails.
3. Custom lets riders hand-pick Boost, Trail and Eco support levels to match their unique riding style and intended terrain. For instance, riding to work on a rainy day through a relatively flat forest with a backpack in tow? Then opt for low Boost for minimal support, low trail for increased traction, and high Eco to offset the additional weight of your baggage. The Custom mode can also come in handy when riding with someone else. Simply adjust the settings accordingly to even the playing field.
What’s more, these settings can be adjusted at home via a PC or tablet device, or on the trail via a Bluetooth-compatible phone app, which means that riders can change the characteristics of their bike mid-ride.
Within the Custom setting there are three options to choose from, allowing riders to change from the default setting to give a greater riding range:
- Eco - High: This is the default setting. It gives a great distance range and supportive assistance, whilst also being ideal for increased towing weight.
- Eco - Medium: This gives a balanced range and power output for a natural riding feeling
- Eco - Low: This setting maximizes the battery range and encourages more physical exercise while still providing useful support to minimize hills and headwinds.
Shimano Europe E-bike brand manager Jeroen Van Vulpen, "We see e-MTBs being used in many different ways in many different countries so we looked at how we can allow riders to tailor their e-bikes to their riding conditions. Some riders need solid power because they ride on hilly terrain, others want to have a maximum range. With adding Eco setting customization riders can now exactly tune the SHIMANO STEPS system to fit their needs, ride further and still get useful support."
The firmware update that allows Eco level adjustment is currently available for PC’s. From Friday 14th June 2019 it will also be available for tablets and smartphones.
To install this firmware update (Ver. 3.4.3), visit Shimano’s E-Tube project site and follow the instructions: https://www.shimano-steps.com/e-bikes/europe/en/service/E-tube
NOTES TO EDITORS
1. Embargoed until: June 14th 09:00 CEST
2. IMAGES: can be downloaded at: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ray6roan98ngpoh/AAA-t9RY6Ov-cyVUbg-86dVWa?dl=0
3. ABOUT SHIMANO EUROPE: Founded in 1921, Shimano is dedicated to helping its customers get closer to nature, supporting people to realize their dreams and create new lifestyles. That comes with the desire to create outstanding products and apparel. With almost 100 years' experience in creating internationally renowned components, Shimano is proud to have developed products that continue to take countless athletes to victory and provide the means for limitless global experiences. For more information see www.shimano.com.